Thursday, May 17, 2012

Crawfish Boil!

Week 49: It is always hard to get back into the swing of things. We had such a fun time at the beach this past weekend - the kids were exhausted and by Monday we had two kids that could barely hold their heads up.  Tuesday was a little overcast, but we didn't think anything about it.  Later that afternoon, there was a little wind and the sky looked like a threat of rain - and then...in 30 minutes time, we had 2 inches of rain.  I was watching out the back to make sure the trampoline didn't blow away, again, when the fence in back fell (not a big surprise).  I guess I forgot to look out front...when I did, this is what I found...
 I am not sure if you can tell by the pictures, but if you look real close on the bottom left corner of the picture, you can see a bit of the curb and the street...this is the bottom of our yard.  When some of the neighbors were trying to get out to go pick up their kids, they had to borrow my next door neighbor's Hummer to get through the water.  The neighbors said that the last time they had flooding like this was during the hurricane. 
 Once we realized it wasn't getting any higher, the "big kids" went out to play!  This is one of my neighbors on their Green Machine.
 
Time for Crawfish!
Our church had a crawfish boil on Saturday afternoon.  The kids love to go out to the church property for events - there is always an amazing bounce and lots of room to run!  While the crawfish was boiling..the kids played on the slide to work up an appetite!

Then it was time to eat!

We have seen a lot of things here in Louisiana that we might not have seen in Alabama - but this about took the cake!  I never thought I would see someone using a front end loader to pick up our lunch.  The pot of crawfish was so heavy that they had to hook it to a chain and use this heavy machinery to lift it out of the boiling pot!  I was amazed and John Bay loved every minute of it! (This was batch number 2 or 3...)  What can I say, the people down here love their crawfish and we are all embracing it!

John Bay chose a hot dog for his first course!  The crawfish came later.


We had to play with our food and really inspect it before we ate!

Both kids tried the crawfish, but I was especially proud of MV!  I didn't think she would do it and she proved me wrong.  She helped me peel it and then asked for more!  She even tried the jambalaya that they had fixed (I think it was because it had noodles instead of rice).

After all the yummy food, we were ready for some down time.  We headed home so that Ed and I could work in the yard.  The kids decided to get dressed and play in the sprinkler.  This is what JB picked out for himself.  I love the "jam" shorts and the matching hat.  (Not really sure where it came from, but he was making it work!)

No comments:

Post a Comment